Week One Assignment, Part 2
As part of the development of your 5 Part Comprehensive Final Report, we begin with Section A.
Section A: Career Position and Leadership Goals Statement (1/2 to 1 page):
Position Goal:
1. Write a brief paragraph describing the career position(s) you would like to pursue.
2. Include positions that may lead to your ultimate career position. For example, you may desire to move up by holding positions such as grade-level or department chair, site council member, assistant principal, principal, and ultimately, superintendent.
3. Include a brief rationale for why you believe it important to move through these positions.
Leadership Goal –
1. Write one or more paragraphs describing why you want to lead. This goal addresses the purpose or motivation for leading versus obtaining a specific position. You should consider the following in developing this:
2. What do I hope to accomplish as a leader?
3. What educational needs underlie my motivation to lead?
4. What personal needs underlie my motivation to lead?
5. How did the accomplishments, during my internship, prepare me to lead school improvement?
Referenced Reading:
Martin, G (2005). School Leader Internship. Larchmont, NY: Eye on Education and any other readings completed during your Superintendent Certification Program.
Position Goal: As I consider options within the field of education, I realize I have several forks in the road which I travel. I would like to become a superintendent of a small suburban or rural district, or an assistant or deputy superintendent of a large urban district. My Plan B is to establish a Christian Charter School with Plan C establishing my role as a national consultant/presenter and Plan D would be to serve as a Technical Assistance Provider or Campus Intervention Team member for schools rated Academically Unacceptable for consecutive years. Stepping stone positions could include Principal, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, Executive Director of Maintenance and Facilities. Each of these positions could provide the additional training needed to improve skills in the competencies that I may not have access to in my current position as Assistant Principal.
Leadership Goal: Meeting the needs of students as we prepare them to maximize their potential in our technological society is my primary purpose for serving in positions of leadership. As a superintendent I desire to provide training for teachers and staff that will enable them to meet the needs of our culturally and academically diverse students. I desire to lead and empower teachers, parents and students in preparing for the demands of careers of the future by increasing their marketability with technology and professional development. During my career I have served on Title I campuses that were at the bottom, in terms of district ratings in Dallas. Through professional development, utilization of data and modifying and adjusting instructional delivery to meet student needs I have seen academic miracles as we move to the top and shock naysayers while making the community proud. These experiences are the driving force in my belief that we can accomplish anything with perseverance and high expectations.
The superintendent internship has given me an opportunity to take my experiences to the next level. I have learned how to do a blog, a wiki, the ten steps to preparing for professional development, duties of a superintendent and the board, the specifications for renovations and new construction, the process for preparing for a bond election and how to prepare a district’s budget and District Improvement Plan. I have had one-on-one conferences with my superintendent, director of Human Resources, Director of Student Services, Interim Director of Maintenance and Facilities, and content specialists. I have been able to get the inside view of what operations in my current district look like. These contacts have been the most valuable parts of the internship and have allowed me to form a group of resources.
Week One Assignment, Part 3
Portfolio Review
Students should review key documents and update them in your portfolio. Please indicate your review of the following documents and indicate if you have made any revisions:
· Vita: Minor changes on duties for this school year have been made.
· Intern Plan: Dates have been updated as activities were completed.
· Course and District Supervised Logs: Most activities have been completed. I am still in the process of writing the summaries in the log.
No comments:
Post a Comment